This free VST plugins roundup features a stereo imager, vintage string synth, a Baxandall EQ, a VCA modeled compressor, and a creative delay effect.
Free VST Plugins
Each month we search the web for some of the music industry’s most essential freeware instrument and effect plugins. This list of free VST plugin downloads offers five modern tools for your arsenal. No need to spend a dime or waste time trawling the internet.
1. Ozone Imager V2 | Stereo Width Effect
Ozone Imager V2 by iZotope brings updates to its fluid visuals, full resizability, and a new Stereoize mode. Control the width of your mix or individual tracks. This stereo width plugin is perfect for making sounds super-wide or narrow and mono. For example, make your pianos and synths fill your stereo image. Or, tighten the low end by narrowing bass and kick drums!
- Easily widen or narrow your sounds to fit them in any mix.
- Stereoize mode can turn a mono signal into stereo. Use the new Stereoize II mode for subtle enhancement, or Stereoize I for a colorful phasing effect.
- Three vectorscope meters help check your stereo width. See if your left and right channels are lining up correctly.
2. Cheeze Machine 2 | Vintage String Synth
Cheeze Machine 2 by 2getheraudio is a remastered version of the original Cheeze Machine virtual instrument. This vintage-style string synth sports a redesigned interface, an expanded oscillator section, convolution reverb, a vintage ensemble chorus, and 64-bit compatibility. It also comes with over 60 presets, including vintage strings, brass, bass, pads, and keyboard sounds.
- Vintage String Box virtual instrument plugin.
- Two virtual analog oscillators plus a sub-oscillator for thick, rich sounds.
- Vintage Ensemble, Phaser, and Modulation effects.
3. RS-W2395c | Classic Baxandall EQ
RS-W2395c by Fuse Audio Labs emulates a classic hardware Baxandall EQ unit from the 1950s. This analog-modeled EQ plugin features a pair of Baxandall EQ controls for broad tonal shaping of bass and treble. Also included is a semi-parametric mid-band filter for treating the midrange.
The W2395c is useful for applying broad EQ adjustments while mixing or mastering. Use it to enhance bass, vocals, synths, drums, guitars, bus groups, full mixes, and anything between.
- Low band shelf filter with a frequency range from 80 to 110 Hz.
- High band shelf filter with a frequency range from 2 to 5 kHz.
- Semi-parametric mid band with three different Q settings.
- Drive control for adding vintage warmth, grit, and tonal character.
4. SN01/SN01-G | VCA Compressor
SN01/SN01-G by Sender Spike is a compression plugin inspired by two classic VCA buss compressors from the UK and US. The plugin comes in two flavors: SN01 and SN01-G. Both modes offer sought-after vintage compression tones. Use them to add musically pleasing ‘glue’ to bus groups, full mixes, and even individual tracks.
- Adjustable threshold, attack, release, ratio, and knee controls.
- Two optional filters for internal sidechaining.
- Optional ‘push’ effect for more extreme compression.
- Dry/wet control for parallel compression.
5. HY-Delay4 Free | Delay Effect
HY-Delay4 Free is a freeware version of the full-featured HY-Delay4 delay plugin by HY-Plugins. Use it to add echoing delay effects, space, and ambiance to your mix. This delay plugin also has several options to control the delayed single. For example, keep your echos in check and get them to sit in the mix better using the Ducker module, Amp, EQ, and limiter. And if you don’t know where to start, try the randomizer buttons to generate random settings.
- Simple stereo delay mode with short, medium, and long delay times.
- Three-band parametric EQ to shape your echos.
- Ducker module for lowering the volume of the echoes to prevent a messy sound.
- Randomizer buttons that randomize settings for delay times, amp, EQ, or all.
- Built-in limiter to boost and control your echoes.