This free VST plugins roundup features five quality-sounding instruments. Find sound-making tools that deliver a variety of sounds fit for any genre.
Free VST Plugins
Each month we search the web for some of the music industry’s most essential freeware instrument and effect plugins.
This list of free VST plugin downloads offers five modern instruments for your arsenal. No need to spend a dime or waste time trawling the internet.
1. Native Instruments | Komplete Start
Fill your music production toolbox with KOMPLETE START. This free bundle has a selection of studio-quality instruments, effects, utilities, loops, and samples.
- Includes 18 instruments and effects
- Play over 2,000 customizable sounds
- A collection of almost 1,500 loops and samples
- More than 500 professionally-designed presets
2. U-He | TyrellN6
U-he and the German online magazine Amazona.de teamed up to offer a stellar analog modeled synthesizer. Based on a design similar to Roland’s classic Juno 60, the Tyrell N6 is a compact synth that delivers the vintage sound we’ve come to love.
- Virtual analog based on Roland’s Juno 60
- Two oscillators, noise, ring modulator
- Two LFOs with eight waveforms
- Mixer with authentic overdrive and filter feedback
- Twin filter related to Diva (early model)
- Analog-type ADSR envelopes, loopable, or LFO-triggered
- Over 580 factory presets
3. Spitfire Audio | LABS
LABS is a series of free instrument plugins and sound libraries. These instruments deliver high-quality sampled sounds. They also feature simplified controls such as two sliders and a big knob to customize your workflow.
The growing list of instruments includes Soft Piano, Strings, Synth Pads, Electric Piano, Drums, Choir, Peel Guitar, Wurli, and several others.
- Over 60 sample libraries and growing
- Libraries made by musicians and sampling experts
- The instrument provides high-quality sounds
- New instrument released every month
- The plugin is easy to use
- Compatible with any DAW
4. Matt Tytel | Helm
Helm is a fully loaded polyphonic synthesizer. It features dual oscillators, 12 waveforms, seven filter types, several modulation sources, and more. It also sports a step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and a host of effects. This synth packs a lot for a freeware instrument!
- 32 voice polyphony
- Interactive visual interface
- A flexible modulation system with live visual feedback
- Dual oscillators with cross-modulation
- Unison and Harmony mode for oscillators
- Oscillator feedback and saturation for waveshaping
- Twelve different waveforms
- Seven filter types with keytracking
- Two monophonic and one polyphonic LFO
- Step sequencer
- Simple arpeggiator
- Effects: Formant filter, stutter, delay
- Comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
5. Blamsoft | Vk-1 Viking Synthesizer
VK-1 Viking Synthesizer emulates Moog’s classic Voyager monophonic synthesizer. It has three variable wave oscillators, two modeled transistor ladder filters, a multi-wave LFO, and two modulation busses.
VK-1 also comes loaded with 228 presets covering all the essential categories. Moreover, this monosynth captures the authentic vibe of the legendary hardware. It sounds amazing for basslines!
- Three variable wave oscillators
- A noise generator
- Two modeled transistor ladder filters
- Two modulation buses and an LFO
- 228 presets with basses, leads, synths, pads, plucks, percussion, FX, etc.
- The graphics of VK-1 have Retina support